We spent this last week learning all about penguins.
We used some of the great reproducibles and ideas from Deanna Jump's penguin unit. {not all of our activities came from Deann's unit}
This was our chart Monday morning before we started. Our Schema (what we already know), our new learning, and misconceptions (what we were wrong about).
Penguin Fact Books
We made a book called "All About Penguins." One page in our book was a penguin Can Have Are chart.
Drawing and labeling a penguin in our books....
We used the parts of a penguin paper we had done earlier in the week to help up label our own pictures....
We chose two pieces of information from our chart to write and draw about in our All About Penguin Books....
(the bottom picture on this childs is regurgitate. The students were so fascinated that that is how penguin babies eat...I'm not sure why.)
The cover of our books...
Our chart at the end of the week. We learned a lot but we already KNEW a lot about penguins!
We also did a science experiment to find out how penguins stay warm. We were able to use a blubber glove on one hand and nothing on the other. The students put their hands into ice water and decided which hand was warmer. The next experiment we did was to see how their outer layer helps keep them warm. I put petroleum jelly on one of their hands and they placed both into the ice water and pulled them out. The petroleum jelly keeps the water away from the skin (it waterproofs). We filled out a response sheet to help keep all of our data together. I did not take any pictures of this activity because the blubber glove was made out of vegetable lard (greasy) and I was covered in petroleum jelly after slathering it on 17 hands. It was a little too messy for me to be handling the camera! However, I'm sticking with the motto, "If it isn't messy, it isn't fun." =) Ask me if I still have this motto at the end of the year......=)
I am missing the pictures of the other penguin art we did, so I will have to get some new pictures taken and place those up later on!
I hope you learned a little bit more about penguins this week as your child came home and told you all about our week!




Those penguin books are fantastic- especially the covers!
ReplyDelete